Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Haste Makes Waste

By Paul Conover

Around the beginning of May, a flamingo was reported near Grand Chenier by a nearby resident. On May 2, Curt Sorrells and Phillip Wallace went looking for the bird during a weekend of birding the SW parishes. That morning, I decided to bird alone on the other side of the Calcasieu so I could take my time and work on photos of common birds without slowing anyone down. I especially wanted to go slowly down Holly Beach toward Peveto Woods, making sure I accounted for every bird there.

Before arriving at the beach, I got a call from Phillip. They had found the flamingo. It was banded, and I joked that it was probably an escapee from Audubon Zoo. I went on with my plans, but decided to head over to see the flamingo after I finished my route. I drove down the beach at a crawl, checking everything, photographing, videotaping, enjoying a relaxing day. A little way down the beach, I ran into Mike Musumeche. He had seen the flamingo and taken some nice photos. I started to wonder if maybe I shouldn't head over there sooner rather than later. But, nah, it was probably just an escape from Audubon Zoo. I got back to my beach detail.

Not long afterward, as I was parked checking out a group of gulls, another vehicle pulled up behind me. I recognized the Sorrells mobile, and got out to visit with Curt and Phillip. As we talked, they mentioned how close they had been to the flamingos. Wait, flamingos? Plural?

The story continues here.

Paul Conover has pursued the hobby of bird watching for many years and is well versed on the various types of birds seen here in Southwest Louisiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment