Sunday, August 2, 2009

What's Next

By Paul Conover

When I was a kid, there were certain birds I'd look at in my Golden Guide and dream of seeing someday. Some, like California Condor, had impossibly tiny dots on their range maps. Others, like White-tailed Kite, had slightly larger ranges marked on their maps, but their ranges were so far from my home that I figured I'd be lucky to ever see them. This didn't stop me from searching the countryside around my house for them; I held out hope that one would take a wrong turn someday and drift over my way. Hope is the thing with wings, after all. Then again, I also held out hope that a pirate ship would sail up the creek behind my house and take me away to live a life of adventure.

Anyway, some birds were especially intriguing. The Cave Swallow was so limited in its range that it didn't even get its own map. Even its account got short shrift.

Here it is in its entirety:
Very local in spring and summer near Carlsbad Cavern, N. Mex., and in south-central Texas. Like Cliff Swallow except for buffy throat. Nests in limestone caves.

Clearly, Cave Swallow was a bird that took some doing to see.

Story continues here...


Paul Conover has pursued the hobby of bird watching for many years and is well versed on the various types of birds seen here in Southwest Louisiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment