Thursday, October 15, 2009

Memphis Minnie

Well, I have re-joined the work force...complete with a uniform "shirt of shame" (with no natural fibers!) and what they call a "flex schedule". That's 21 century for 7 days a week. Of course, not 40 hours a week because that would qualify me for benefits, and corporate America hates employee benefits. So, basically, I'll be working a little bit (or a lot) everyday. Love it. But what about The Daily Meaux's practice of starting the weekend on Thursday with a Louisiana musical artist? That will continue. I may be working (a little or a lot) from Sun. to Sun. but my heart will be singing starting every Thursday.
Which brings us to this week's musical selection: Remember Me Blues, by the unparalleled, Memphis Minnie. There is an abundance of her songs available on You Tube, and they're all worth a look/listen. But you know, I'm a sucker for a weird video accompaniment to a great song, and dang, they don't come much weirder than this one. Also, check out this wonderful post by Joyful Gypsy on ireport.com for a short bio on Memphis Minnie, and a photo of her headstone which was paid for by Bonnie Raitt. Pretty cool. And, if you catch the Memphis Minnie fever (like I did) you'll want to check out her version of Me And My Chauffeur Blues, a song I first became aware of through Clifton Chenier's version. See? I made a little circle there. Now, I gotta go rest up for my weekend shift. Happy Thursday everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment